What’s better on a cold day than a hearty chicken soup? Chicken pot pie!
It might be crust; it might be the filling, but a chicken pot pie is the perfect dish for the cold days. I mean, what’s better than tasty chicken cooked with veggies inside a crisp, golden crust? NOTHING!
I learned this recipe for homemade pot pie (which is really easy!) a while back and to my surprise I do not prepare very often; the funny thing is that my whole family loves it– So again, why I don’t cook it more often? I don’t know…
This recipe could be prepare with boneless rotisserie or baked chicken!
Chicken pot pies (serve 4 people)
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breast
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 cup of diced celery
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- salt and black pepper to taste
- water to boil the chicken
- store-bough pie dough or pastry dough
- Cover the chicken with water and bring to a boil; add salt, pepper and the bay leaf for flavor. When chicken is cooked through (about 25 minutes) discard the water ( and bay leaf) and shred the chicken with two forks.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium-high heat, then add the onions, potatoes, carrots and celery. Stir until onions are translucent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir until it’s all well combined.
- Pour in the chicken stock and the milk, follow by the shredded chicken and peas. Stir again. Once it start to thicken add the salt, black pepper and fresh thyme. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Divide the filling into 4 individuals ramekins or oven proof bowls.
- Roll out the pie/pastry dough and divided in 4 pieces ( I cut mine in strips) Place the dough on top of each ramekin and press the edges to the outside of the bowl.
- Give a quick egg brush over the surface of the dough. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
Get ready for the cold and enjoy a delicious pot pie!
Did you like this easy recipe? Share with us!