EDITED: This easy quinoa salad is packed with flavor and perfect for lunch, dinner, or next time potluck.
Are you looking for a new way to incorporate healthy grains into your diet? Look no further because I have a recipe perfect for that.
Today’s recipe feature quinoa!
But what’s quinoa?
Quinoa is a popular ancient grain, rich in protein, vitamins, and fiber; It has a nutty, but mild flavor, and is an excellent substitute for rice or any other grain.
Unlike wheat, quinoa is a gluten-free grain, making it perfect for those who are gluten intolerant.
In my opinion, the best way to enjoy quinoa is in a salad, of course, we have to cook the grain just like rice, and once cooled, we will add the rest of the ingredients. The quinoa will soak up all the flavors from the fresh ingredients that we’ll add to the salad.
Besides the cooked quinoa, this recipe calls for fresh cilantro, onion, tomatoes, and jalapeños. Sometimes, I like to add chickpeas and cucumbers if they are available.
Here’s the recipe.
Easy quinoa salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 medium red tomato diced
- 1 medium Jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil optional
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the quinoa and stir.
- Once the water has reduced, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer covered until quinoa is tender but still chewy (about 15 to 20 minutes) Turn it off and let cool completely.
- In another bowl, combine the tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeño pepper, lemon juice, salt, and olive oil. Add the quinoa and mix well. Taste for salt and let it chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
Check the recipe and let us know your thoughts. Share with us on social media using the hashtag #Johannyskitchen.
Leave a Reply