Try this savory and a bit spicy beef stir-fry with bok choy and snow peas, perfect for easy weeknight meals.
A couple of years ago I came across a recipe for the perfect stir-fry. The name of the original recipe is “Chili Beef Stir-Fry with scallions and snow peas” by Aida Mollenkamp. This stir fry recipe caught my attention as it was easy to follow, and because it was calling for ingredients that I had in my pantry–easy!
So this is when I added my personal touch…
The original recipe calls for chili garlic sauce as the main ingredient. If you noticed, the name of her recipe starts with “Chili” so you know it has a kick, but I never tough it was going to need a glass of milk (just in case) next to me while eating lol!
BUT…What’s chili garlic sauce?
Chili garlic is a coarsely ground blend of chili peppers, garlic, salt and other ingredients. The mixture is really spicy, but really tasty. It last a long time in the fridge and can be use in many recipes and sauces.
My version of this delicious stir fry has minor changes and it calls for less chili garlic sauce than the original recipe.
Here is the recipe
Beef stir fry with bok choy and snow peas
- 1 lb Flank Steak trimmed and thinly sliced along the grain
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin wine (Japanese sweet cooking wine)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp canola oil divided
- 6 scallions thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 cups baby bok choy washed and chopped
- 1 cup snow peas washed
- In a small bowl, whisk chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, honey and corn starch. Set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of canola oil in a wok or non-stick skillet over high heat. Pat the meat dry with a paper towel and cook stirring constantly until browned. Tranfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet over medium-low heat, add another tablespoon of canola oil. Cook the garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Stir in the snow peas and scallions and cook until bright green. Add the bok choy and stir again.
- Add the cooked beef, followed by the chili sauce dressing. Toss everything and transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with more fresh scallions.
Hope you enjoy making it (and eating it!) as much as I did. Remember you can always add your favorite vegetables or even your favorite protein such as chicken, pork or even tofu!
Let is know your thoughts and as always