This Chicken tortilla soup is the perfect meal for those chilly winter nights…enjoy!
Although sancocho is my first choice when it comes to hearty soups, I can’t deny that chicken tortilla soup is also one of my favorites. Many people might feel that tortilla soup requires a lot prep time compared to other soups, but I assure you this one is very simple…and oh! so good!
My friend Marisol shared with me her traditional Mexican recipe,(this is an adaptation from it) and since then, it has become one of my family’s favorite dishes.
I think I love Mexican food…Don’t believe me? Check these salsa verde, tacos and pico de gallo y guacamole posts for more Mexican cuisine inspired recipes.
Recipe for chicken tortilla soup.
- 1 cup of cooked shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken is perfect for this recipe!)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 fresh red peppers, roasted on the stove burner, seeded and cleaned
- 2 corn ears, roasted on the stove burner
- 4 to 5 cups of chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 corn tortillas cut into strips
- Oil to fry the tortillas
- Shredded cheese
- sour cream
This recipe doesn’t call for Jalapeño but you can add some for a nice kick!
Make this recipe and don’t forget to share!
Que rico! That looks amazing, I want to try it at home.
Thanks Patty for stopping by. It does looks good but I taste even better!
You kill me with these recipes! This looks delicious. Not cream based but not so thin it’s like the liquid from salsa (I hate when it’s like that). This looks rich and hearty.