Vanilla Bean Flan Caramel: The classic decadent custard recipe, with a sweet caramel sauce, and little specks of vanilla beans.
Disclosure: Thanks Florida Crystals® for providing your product for this recipe. All opinions are my own.
You are in for a sweet treat today! because who doesn’t like flan caramel? The popular rich, creamy sweet custard similar to crème brûlée — It is so delicious, decadent and easy to make.
Native from Spain but prepared in many other countries, flan is one of the recipes that many people enjoy eating but are afraid to prepare as it seems very intimidating. Well, let me tell you that the recipe I will share with you today, is everything but intimidating, in fact, is one of the recipes I make all the time because of its simplicity,and to make it extra flavorful, I like to add vanilla bean seeds.
Here are the steps:
Make a caramel: Melt about a cup of Florida Crystal® Organic Raw Cane Sugar with some water until mixture has a deep caramel color;
Pour the caramel into five individual ramekins and place them in large baking pan with hot water ( Bain-marie or water bath);
Combine one can of evaporated milk, a can of condensed milk, five egg yolks, vanilla bean or vanilla extract and a pinch of salt in a blender and pour into ramekins;
Then, baked the flan at 350° degrees for 40 minutes or until firm. Let it cool completely, before placing in the refrigerator;
Let it cool in the fridge for at least two hours or overnight.
Here is the printable recipe.
- for the caramel
- 3/4 cup of organic Florida Crystals sugar
- 1/4 of water
- for the custard
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 oz) condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise or 1 teaspoons of good vanilla
- a pinch of salt.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar with water, stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and cook without stirring until mixture has a nice caramel (deep amber) color.
- Quickly pour caramel into 4 individual ramekins. Carefully and using a mitten, tilt each ramekin to coat sides. Set aside ramekins into a large baking pan.
- Combine the egg yolks, evaporated milk, condensed milk and salt in a blender. Scrape seeds from the vanilla bean into the mixture and blend again.
- Pour the custard mixture into the prepare ramekins, divide evenly.
- Pour hot water into the large baking pan (Bain-marie), about halfway of the ramekins.
- Bake the custard at 350 degrees fro about 40 minutes or until custard is firm.
- Let it cool completely. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To serve, run small knife around the flan and turn over into a plate.
Flip over and enjoy!