Steak with zucchini, mushrooms and green onions for an easy weeknight meal.
What happens when you don’t have all the ingredients to make a recipe you had in mind? You create a new one!
Last Tuesday as I was heading home from work, I was thinking ( as usual 😉 ) of what to make for dinner; I knew I wanted something easy because I wasn’t feeling to well, but I also knew it need it be delicious… and then it clicked! Stir Fry. Yay! Stir Fry is one of those recipes that you can put together in no time and it is so delicious.
I checked my pantry and I had none of the main ingredients to make it…literally none. I had steak, zucchini and mushrooms in my fridge…oh and some green onions, but that’s about it.
So, what could I made that was similar to Stir Fry but it didn’t need soy sauce; or sesame oil; or ginger?
I could have prepare Pepper Steak but I didn’t even have any peppers…or onions– and I think you need those vegetables to make pepper steak. Don’t you? 😕
What a mission…
Anyways, I ended up making Steak with zucchini, mushrooms and green onions and let me tell you, I’m so glad that I didn’t have the ingredients for the stir fry.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 lb beef top round steak cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup of Zucchini, diced
- 1 cup of Mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup of green onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Season the steak with vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt an black pepper. Let it marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the steak and let it cook until brown.
- Remove the steak from the skillet and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the same skillet.
- Add the zucchinis, mushroom and half of the green onions, cook for about 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the cooked beef and mix well. Sprinkle with more green onions.
- Serve over rice.
Hope you like this recipe as much as we did. As always, share your thoughts with us.