“Tinga de pollo”: A classic Mexican dish made with shredded chicken and cooked in a spicy tomato-based sauce.
The first time I heard the word “tinga” I got a little scared. I though my friend Marisol was cursing at me lol! but to my surprise she was referring to an authentic Mexican dish.Tinga de pollo is a chicken dish made with tomatoes, Chile chipotle in adobo sauce, and lots of onions; it could be used in quesadillas, tacos and my favorite…tostadas! which are golden fried tortillas topped with a bunch of good stuff.
This recipe for spicy chicken tostadas is perfect for parties (5 De Mayo it’s almost here!); Make a buffet where friends and family can assembly their own tostadas and add as much toppings as they want. What I like about this recipe is that you can adjust the spiciness to your own taste by adding or cutting down on the chipotle peppers. Also, you can only add the adobo sauce for a milder and smoky flavor.
Recipe for Spicy Chicken Tostada (Tinga de Pollo)
Makes about 6 to 8 tostadas
For the Tinga:
- 2 to 3 pounds of boneless chicken breast
- 2 Large onions, quartered
- 2 Chiles Chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 medium red tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- Corn Tostadas
- Queso Cotija or Queso fresco, shredded
- Fresh avocado slices
- 1 can of refried beans, heated
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour Cream
- Place the chicken and salt in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for about 20 minutes. Turn the heat off and remove the chicken from the liquid. Shred the chicken with two forks and set aside.
- Start making the sauce by blending the tomatoes, onions, chipotle peppers and garlic in a blender.
- In a large sauté pan heat the oil and sugar over medium-high heat until the sugar is brown. Add the chicken and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the mixture of tomatoes and onions to the pan. Lower the heat to medium-low and let the chicken simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Assemble the tostadas in the following order: place 1 tablespoon of the refried beans on each tostada, 2 tablespoons of chicken, add the cheese and any topping that you want. Serve immediately!
Aren’t they lovely? I think so 🙂
Try them today and let me know your thoughts