These Keto Low Carb Turkey Burgers are made with European Extra Virgin Olive Oil and served over lettuce leaves for a delicious low carbohydrate meal!
Disclaimer: I received free European EVOO from Moms Meet (momsmeet.com) to use and post my honest opinion. Compensation from this post was provided, and this post may contain affiliate links.
Today I’m sharing a recipe that is easy to prepare, delicious and good for you, and although the main ingredient is not olive oil, I felt the need to share how versatile this staple ingredient can be. Let me tell you more…
Choosing European Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
I love cooking with olive oil, in fact, one staple ingredient in my kitchen is European Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I prefer to cook with EVOO cause it represents the freshest and purest olive oil available since is made by pressing fresh olives without heat or chemicals. Besides, with olive oil, you can prepare all kinds of savory dishes such as burgers and salads, as well as decadent desserts, (Hello? Olive oil cake).
My family and I have been consuming olive oil forever, but it took us a while to learn that there is a difference between regular olive oil and extra virgin. When selecting European EVOO, you want to look for the one with the European Union PDO certification, also known as DOP in Italian or PGI (Protected Geographical Indication).
Also, a great way to tell if an extra virgin olive oil is good quality is by tasting it; Good olive oil should smell and taste fresh and no rancid. Another point that I should mention is that good olive oil might have a slightly bitter taste since olives are bitter by nature.
Other Things to know.
Olives may be harvested at any time as they ripen, and may be plucked when they are green, purple or black. That said, the color of the oil in its container is no indication of the flavor. I also should point out that olive oil comes from different parts of the world and that will determine the color and smells and even taste of the oil, for example:
Spanish oil is typically golden yellow with a fruity, nutty flavor;
Italian olive oil is often dark green and has a herbal aroma and a grassy flavor;
Greek olive has a strong flavor and aroma and tends to be green
And French oil is typically pale in color and has a mild flavor.
Today’s recipe feature Olitalia European Extra Virgin Olive Oil, it is a recipe really simple to make and I can not wait for you to try it!
Keto Low Carb Turkey Burgers
This recipe calls for turkey meat instead of ground beef, but you can always alter or add your own touch.
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano (1 tsp. if using dried)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. sundried tomato paste or puree
- 3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Iceberg lettuce leaves
- Grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large avocado
- 1 lime
- About 10 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a large bowl, combined ground turkey, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, sundried tomato paste and 2 tbsp. of the extra virgin olive oil. Mix together with a wooden spoon. Divide Mixture into four and form into equal size patties.
- Place patties on a large baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until cooked.
- While the burgers are cooking, mash the avocado flesh with the lime juice, tomatoes and salt to taste.
- Place the burgers on lettuce leaves, with a spoonful of the avocado puree and grated cheese.
Enjoy and as always…