Try this classic recipe for homemade empanadas with just three ingredients, you and your family will love it!
For many of us making empanada dough from scratch can be a bit intimidating, and let’s be honest, it does take some time, but it’s so worthy! besides, these days are perfect to put those skills into practice since we have extra time thanks to the quarantine.
Empanadas or empanadillas are baked or fried turnovers (made from wheat or corn flour), which are usually filled with meat, cheese, vegetables, and even sweet ingredients such as apple or guava paste.
Today I will show you my easy version for empanada dough.
Some recipes call for butter and even eggs, mine only requires three ingredients: flour, salt, and oil.
Now for this recipe, the trick to get the perfect dough is to add hot water. The hot water makes the process easier and you will have a more elastic dough at the end.
Here is the recipe:
Homemade empanada dough
- 3 cups all purpose flour sifted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water hot
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and oil. Stir with an spatula
- Carefully, add the hot water and stir again. Until getting a crumbly consistency
- knead the dough with your hands for a few minutes and form a ball.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes before making the discs.
- After 30 minutes use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a thin sheet, and cut it into pie circles (you can use a small plate for this)
- Use inmediately, or store in in the fridge up to 3 days, or in the freezer for a few months.
Tell us what you think about this recipe and share your pictures with us using the hashtag #johannyskitchen