Vegetables and fruits…there are many reasons why we should eat them.
They taste good, they are colorful and they are full of vitamins and nutrients that our bodies need. Eating veggies and fruits may reduce the risk of many diseases.
Here are some facts about these amazing food groups.
- According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans we need to eat more vegetables and fruits than any other food group.
- Some vegetables and fruits such as oranges, papayas, navy beans and artichokes are high in calcium…yes! calcium, an essential nutrient that is found in dairy products (Milk, cheese, etc). Calcium is good for your bones and teeth.
- Many fruits and vegetables are high in fiber which is really good for your digestive system and helps lower cholesterol. So, next time you have an issue going…eat some pineapple!
- They are high in vitamin A and Vitamin C.
- Vitamin A keeps your eyes and skin healthy, and vitamin C helps heals cuts and wounds.
- And the best one… they are delicious! Fruits are sweet therefore we can eat them for dessert or as a healthy snack and vegetables are great any time of the day.
Source: Fruit and veggies more matters ®
Did you eat your fruits and veggies today?