Coquito: A traditional coconut-flavored Puerto Rican sweet drink perfect for the holidays.
I love everything coconut…Drinks, desserts, pescado con coco (fish in coconut sauce) and everything else you can think of! So when I tasted coquito for the first time I fell in love and immediately fell the need of recreating this delicious recipe native to Puerto Rico.
Coquito is one of those recipes (like many other Latin recipes) that everyone makes differently–Should I use coconut milk or coconut cream? Should I add eggs? Dark rum or White Rum? Some people say that we shouldn’t add eggs since Coquito is not an Eggnog drink, However, others say that by adding egg yolks, you will get a thicker drink without changing the original flavor of this tropical drink.
So many options!
Well, a couple of days ago I decided to make Coquito for the first time. The first batch came out ok…flavor wise. However, my husband (which is Puerto Rican Descent ) told me that, It needed to be thicker, so, I added two egg yolks! mind you, I was a little skeptical of the idea of adding eggs; but to my surprise, it came out really good! 🙂
For this recipe, I cooked the eggs yolk with milk on top of a double boiler and then added the mixture to the rest of the ingredients.
The final result is a creamy coconut drink perfect for any occasion.
Recipe for Coquito.
- 1 can-12oz Evaporated milk
- 1 can-15oz cream of coconut
- 1 can-13.5oz coconut milk
- 1 can condensed milk
- 2 Egg yolks (optional for a thicker consistency)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of cloves, ground
- ½ cup white rum
- In a double boiler over low heat, combine the eggs yolks and evaporated milk. Cook by stirring constantly until getting a thick mixture. About 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the egg mixture to a blender with the rest of the ingredients and the rum. Blend until nice and smooth.
- Pour into glass bottles and chill really well before serving.
What’s your favorite drink during the holidays?
Note: This post was previously posted on December 2015 and it has been edited.